When asking people to do something new for the first time.
1. Be credible. Facts, figures and evidence focus our energy.
2. Require active participation in a trial phase. Right here and now. Reassure people they can trial it out now risk free in a safe space.
3. Invite people to visualise a better future. Incite people to dream about what things could look like if they made XYZ happened.
4. Be silent. Change happens when the person wanting change is thinking or speaking. Not when you are!
5. Engage people with thoughtful exercises that transition learnings from the classroom to the real world. Not exercises that waste time. Stuff that translates to real change.
When asking someone to do something for the first time - approach with respect, ask for collaboration and inspire people with stories about people who have done it before.