In November 2015 Google concluded research into what made their teams effective. It turns out there are 5 aspects of teams that make up a "magical algorithm" for effective teamwork.
It turns out WHO is on any one team matters a lot less than how the team members engage with each other, how they coordinate work and how they perceive their contributions.
- Psychological safety: Can we be vulnerable on this team and be supported?
- Dependability: Can we count on each other to do excellent work delivered on time?
- Structure & clarity: Are our goals, responsibilities, and plans crystal clear?
- Meaning of work: Are we working on stuff that we believe in? Do we all believe what we are doing together is important?
- Impact of work: Do we believe that the work we are doing will change things and have a real impact?